Pages

Tuesday 2 January 2018

S.L.J. Week 2 day 3

Day 3: The Great Depression (The 1930s)


Unfortunately, the wealth and success of the 1920s did not
continue into the 1930s. Instead, the stock market in America
crashed on Tuesday 29 October 1929. When this happened,
people lost a lot of money and much of the world sunk into a
deep, financial depression. The 1930s is often referred to as
the ‘Great Depression.

Activity 1: Dealing with Stress

In New Zealand, many people lost their jobs during this
decade. Experts predict that as much as
30% of the population was unemployed. It was a very
stressful time for families.

Sadly, many of us still experience stress in our lives to
this day. When I feel stressed I try to go for a walk or pop
into my local gym for a quick workout. Exercise makes
me feel better. What about you?

On your blog, please tell us what you do when you want
to relax or de-stress. Do you read a favourite book, watch
a favourite television show or talk to someone special?  
What are your tips for dealing with stress?

Here are some tips for when you get stressed.

When I get stressed and have to do so many
Things at once this is what I like to do.

I would get a drink for me to calm down
then I would go outside and ride my bike for a
while to enjoy the fresh air.
I would also just watch video clips on my phone
to also calm down.

Those were my tips on how to calm down
when you’re stressed.

Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand

During this period, people struggled to find work both
here at home and overseas. It was a really tough time for
people living in the Great Plains of the United States
because they were hit with a huge drought that lasted for
most of the decade. Many crops were damaged and
farmers were not able to make enough money to feed their
families.

Imagine that you were alive in the 1930s. What could you
have done to help these families? On your blog, list three
different ways that you could raise funds for families to
help them buy food and clothing. Be as creative as you
can with your fundraising ideas!

  1. I would do a garage sale in St. Heliers so
that people would buy the clothes and other things.

2. I would put some clothes in clean bins and also
sell more clothes.

3. I would ask rich people to donate some
food or money for the homeless.

That was my three ways.

Bonus Activity: Paying it Forward

In the mid-1930s, things began to change for the better in
New Zealand. More people were able to find work and
receive a steady paycheck. They were still careful,
however, with their money and rarely, if ever, bought treats
or gifts for one another.

Imagine that you were able to travel back in time to visit a
family in the 1930s. What special gifts or treats would you
like to bring with you? Rachel would likely bring blocks
of Whittaker’s chocolate, bags of Jet Planes and
Pineapple Lumps, healthy food snacks, clothing, and
games for the children.

If I had to travel back to the 1930s I
would’ve brought them clothes because
they had different types of clothes and
I could show them the new fashion.
I would bring lollies and chocolates
like starbursts and maltesers so they could
eat them.
I would also bring a bluetooth speaker
so they can see instead of buying
a radio you can connect music
to the speaker.

Thanks for reading Week 2 Day 3 of

the summer learning journey.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Levonah, thanks for posting another set of activities and happy new year! I hope you're having a safe and fun break.

    I've enjoyed reading your tips for dealing with and relieving stress.
    They're really practical and useful, well done.

    I like to read a book, watch a movie, listen to music, get outside and go for a run. You're right about leaving the house, sometimes that makes all the difference.

    What sort of things make you stressed?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Levonah, thank you for also sharing some interesting ways to fund raise money for people less fortunate. Garage sales are a great way to raise money and also clear out old stuff you no longer use. I used to love checking them out as a kid, you'd never know what you might find. Nowadays they're less common because people often just put things on Trademe.

    I was thinking you could run a sausage sizzle or a lemonade stand. That might be a good way to raise money. On another person's blog they suggested a great idea of having a performance evening to raise money.

    Have you ever been apart of a fundraiser?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Levonah, thanks for sharing the items you would bring back to the 1930's. It's great that you've decided to bring a balance of items, clothing and edible treats. This is important because those sweet treats won't last too long, but the clothing will. The bluetooth speaker will seriously blow their minds! They will be so confused about how it works. You'd better have a good explanation for them!

    Great blogging, keep it up!
    Billy

    ReplyDelete