Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer learning journey day 2 ( It's all in a Day's work)

Day 2: It’s All in a Day’s Work


Activity 1: A House or a Home?
This is what we have to do.

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa.
Each village had many buildings – kauta where people
cooked, pataka where they stored goods and


wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni
had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern,
rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a

traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?
On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home.


What are two similarities and two differences between a
wharepuni and your house?
The similarities between my house and the wharepuni.
Here is the link to my Similarities between my house
and the wharepuni.



Activity 2: The Rules of Engagement
This is what we have to do

During the early years in New Zealand, men and
women would often marry at a young age. Women
were expected to have babies and remain in the home


caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search
of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work
outside of the home.
These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations
about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path
in life.

What is your dream job? Draw a picture of yourself
doing your dream job and post it on your blog. You
could be a doctor, an actor or even a zookeeper!
Here is my picture of myself. My dream job would
Be to play rugby for the black ferns.

Bonus Activity: Special Meals
This is what we have to do.
Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet.
They ate foods that they could catch in the water
(eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara). They did
not have access to a supermarket to buy food for their
meals! Speaking of meals, what is your favourite meal?
On your blog, post a picture of your favourite meal.
Be sure to tell us what it is and why it is your favourite.
You could also include the recipe if you have it so that
we can all try it!
I have two favourite foods.
  1. Homemade chicken fettuccine
  2. Pancakes with whipped cream
And maple syrup.

The reason why I love chicken fettuccine
So much is because I love the pasta and
Chicken together including the sour cream.
When I eat chicken fettuccine it makes me
Want to eat it the night after and after.

I love pancakes so much because it is a
Really nice breakfast. It is also so nice
When you have it with whipped
Cream, strawberries and maple syrup.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Levonah,

    Well done for completing today's activities for the Summer Learning Journey! It's great how you explained you would like to play rugby when you grow up as a Black Fern.

    Thats awesome! And yes I know you love Pancakes with Maple Syrup and Whipped Cream and Strawberries! Ok hurry we need to go take Santa Photos!

    Your brother,

    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Levonah My name is Brendan and i am a year 5 at Wesley primary school cool activities and yum pancakes.This reminds me of when i was doing my activity . If you want to check out my blog go to http//wpsbrendana.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Levonah, it's Billy here form the Summer Learning Journey programme. Great job on completing the activities. Keep up the good work!

    I like those two meals as well. I like the reasons you have given for their inclusion. You're right chicken and cream is delicious and the pasta goes with it so well!

    It sounds like you have your meals sorted for an entire day!

    What do you and your family prepare and eat on Christmas Day?

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Levonah, thanks for granting me access to view your comparison between a traditional wharepuni and your own house.

    It was great to read. You have a clear understanding of the rules and functions of a wharepuni. I am very impressed.

    I found it funny how you stated that in a wharepunui you are not allowed to mess it up while in your own house you often mess it up! Sounds like my home!

    Do you think you could live in a wharepunui nowadays?
    It would be hard while all your friends were at home on their devices, watching TV, and playing video games.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billy thanks for the comment.I think I could live in a wharepuni. But yeah it would be hard to not go on electronics.
      Thanks for the comment.

      Thanks, Levonah

      Delete
  5. Hi Levonah,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working on these activities. Well done!

    How cool that you would like to play rugby for the Black Ferns one day! That would be a lot of hard work. Do you play rugby at the moment for a school or club team? I've never played rugby myself, but I enjoy watching it on the TV! :)

    What sorts of things could you do now to prepare for being a rugby player one day?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Levonah!

    My name is Ellee, I am another part of the Summer Learning Journey Crew that is commenting on your blogs this summer.

    This is a really great post! I really enjoyed reading about your favourite foods and your dream job!

    Mmmm pancakes and pasta, it's making me feel hungry! I like the toppings you have on your pancakes too - I like to have bananas on top of chocolate chip pancakes :)

    Wow! That's really cool that you want to be a rugby player (specially for the Black Ferns - they are an awesome team!)
    Do you have a favourite player?

    Keep up the awesome work with your blog Levonah!
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete